Monday, July 11, 2011

Women’s World Cup quarterfinals

Abby Wambach

U.S. Women Oust Brazil ... was the NY Times headline.

Now, I've not really ever watched more than a few soccer games, and I've never seen anyone in the USA actually sit down and watch soccer on tv ... BUT ... when I'm in Europe, I really enjoy catching a great soccer game with friends.



Years ago, I had dinner at a Greek restaurant in Schwaebisch Gmuend. Greece was playing for the European cup - and they won !! The owner came to each table with complementary ouzo ... and the town went wild !! Cars honking, people cheering, flags unfurled ... it was a real heartfelt celebration !

So ... yesterday, the USA women played the Brazilian women ... at the end of the game the score was tied 2-2, so with penalty kicks, the US took the win - 5-3. You can read about it in the New York Times if you didn't catch it.

New York Times

So, this Wednesday I'll be watching USA vs France ... I'll walk over to the Market place, order a chilled Paulaner and, although I love France, I do hope that the US girls take it. ... maybe, just maybe ... I'll start to see people in America watching soccer on tv.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home