Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pissaladière

Creating my Pissaladière

Ingredients - and I waver very liberally with these:

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 6 yellow onions, chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 9" x 13" pizza dough
  • 20 anchovy fillets
  • 20 black olives in oil, drained
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
I also add chopped garlic and roasted red peppers for added flavour

Pissaladière is a savory, Provencal onion tart layered with olives, anchovies, and herbs. Serve it cut into little rectangles for a fabulous appetizer. Be very careful to cook the onions gently. One bit of burned onion will give the whole recipe a bitter flavor.

This is my 'potager' - my 'kitchen garden' where I grow herbs and patio tomatoes

Gathering thyme from my herb garden

I chop my onions medium fine (I use my processor), add some olive oil and a little butter to my saucepan, and simmer the onions on low for approximately an hour or until they are golden (do not overcook).

I add roasted red peppers, chopped garlic, thyme, freshly ground coarse pepper and sea salt.

Now this is where I take a short cut: Yes, I could make the dough ... but ... I find it much easier to just purchase pizza dough - the rectangular shape. It comes in a 10" x 13" size.

Heat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly brown your pizza dough. I then remove the pizza dough and then spoon the onions, red peppers and garlic to cover the dough leaving a 1/2 inch edge. I arrange the Provençal olives and anchovies in an attractive pattern. Place the pissaladière back into the hot oven and continue baking until crust is done: approximately 15 minutes. Voila !!

Use a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles. Serve hot or at room temperature

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home