Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Tuesday, August 4th - relishing the remaining weeks

Les Fleurs de la Marche Provencal
acrylic 30" x 30"

I am happy with this painting. It started off as pretty much a mess ... but it was just the underpainting ... I heard some whispers from bystanders at the Artists' Market - 'oh my ... I don't like that one at all' (translated for me) ... but they didn't understand that it was just the beginning process. So ... yesterday I pulled out the canvas and began to complete the 'Flowers of Marche Provencal'.
Well ... after getting to sleep after 2:00 a.m. - I was trying to download the movie 'UP' ... watched halfway through then lost the picture ... - I woke up at 7:45 and decided to walk over to Marche Provencal and take photos ... still trying to replace the over 2000 photos that I lost with the robbery - Impossible - but trying to rebuild.
These beautiful structures align the way to the Market ... incroyable !!
A three minute walk to the Marche Provencal from Villa Fontaine
Morning coffee and cigarettes (no cigarettes for me though)
Keeping beautiful Antibes clean
The Marche Provencal
You certainly can find everything here ... Fish, meat, fowl, flowers, cheese, herbs, spices, honey, desserts ... even little bowls to grate your garlic ... and then to add olive oil. It's a real feast for the senses ... and it's a great place to lift the spirits ... people smiling, laughing, whistling ... a true hustle and bustle. And ... a wealth of opportunities for your incredible Olympus camera for sure.
shopping in the market

herbs and beans
peppers and potatoes
I don't know what the heck these are ... but I'm game to try them
Eggplant
Spices from Africa
Frommage
Olives Provencal
Peppers
beautiful cafes along Boulevard d'Aguillon
Key West
Along Port Vauban - the largest yachting harbour in the world

After the Marche Provencal, I strolled past Port Vauban ... so many photographs to take ... large sailing vessels, yachts, small boats .. and this little wooden one .. with the flags - one of my favorites - simple and fun.
A la Plage - at the beach

After photographing the boats, I stopped by Plage Gravette. I love this little beach - it's intimate and cozy ... with great views of Vieil Antibes. The beautiful three story white building in the near foreground is where the Nicolas de Staël lived. He was an expert painter and colorist. At the tender young age of 41, he took his life in Juan les Pins ... falling from a terrace eleven stories high. You wonder about the tragedies ... what makes an artist take their life. Passion? Rejection? Failure? Despair? ... the loss of all hope ... and, what future life and masterpieces did they deny themselves ... and the world.



Le Concert - the last painting of Nicolas de Staël. This painting now hangs in the Picasso Museum located in the heart of old Antibes. They say that this painting is left unfinished ... who are 'they' and how can they be so sure ... ?

People discuss my art and pretend to understand, as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love.
Claude Monet


OLYMPUS AMERICA

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi, Ann,
As usual great photos, paintings, and commentary. I would love to shop at the Marche Provencal. Yum!
I think your mystery vegetable is squash blossoms. We've only made them once, but I think we lightly breaded the flowers and sautéed very quickly.
Steph

12:01 PM  
Blogger PaintingEachDay said...

Hey Steph,

I think you are correct - Mmmm - sautéeing the blossoms ... that sounds interesting and delicious !!

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home