Monday, August 17, 2009

Roses - Gundi and Ali


Roses for Gundi

Sunday, August 10th ... Gundi and Ali stop by d'Orado to pick me up in their fabulous BMW. We have reservations to dine at 'Echo' a country restaurant owned by a fabulous Austrian Chef and his artist Wife.

Being born on Valentine's Day ... I am a hopeless romantic. I love love. And ... it makes me so very happy to see Gundi and Ali in love ... even after many years together. Maybe even more so. Gundi is one of my best friends in Schwaebisch Gmuend. She's a power house. A romantic. A lover of life. A friend. She's a go-getter, an organizer ... and she will make things happen. She's the wife, friend, lover of Ali. He's smart and funny and friendly ... and loves technology ... just like me. They're a great match. A classic. And ... I couldn't be happier for them.

Dinner at Echo Restaurant ... Beef Carpaccio with greens and cheese with a side of sliced potatoes AND one of the greatest red wines that I have had ... along side of the wine that Conrad served with the Oberburgermeister Richard Arnold ... fantastic !! I just love a oaky, rich, full-bodied red wine.

The Chef and Artist owners of 'Echo' Restaurant. They were very kind to me ... and presented me with a bottle of sweet white wine ' Josef Leutsch' Beerenauslese. I'm instructed to sip this wine when I begin my painting of 'JUSTICE' for Antibes. To think of my friends also in Schwaebsich Gmuend and the bond that we have ... also the sister-city of Antibes. Thank you so much for such a wonderful and memorable evening.

Crepes with sweet wine ... and a gift of this same sweet wine to take with me to Antibes.
Gundi loves Ali

What is it like to have cherished friends four thousand miles away ? Or ... just a sister-city away ? I can tell you. I remember the exact moment (six years ago) my driver pulled up in front of d'Orado. There was Monika Buchheit - organizer of town twinning and Michaele and Conrad Stuetz owner of d'Orado (incredible Jewelry) and future life long friends. I had six weeks of exploration in Schwaebisch Gmuend and I wasn't about to miss out on anything. Michaele and Conrad gave me the key to their beautiful apartment in their home and there I was in German Paradise. There were cobblestones and market places, churches built 800 years ago and churchbells. There were cafes and shops and clay rooftops ... and festivals !!! And, if you know me ... in the words of the prior Oberburgermeister Wolfgang Leidig ... 'this is Ann Schlegel ... she likes beer festivals'. Ok ... so maybe it wasn't the most glamorous introduction that I have ever had ... but ... true it was !!

It was one of the most wonderful, most exciting and most memorable times in my life. And ... to come back and have slide show presentations of our beautiful sister city ... well, it's priceless. I was invited back the next year ... yes, for yet another six weeks ... and it was then that the Director of the Musik School - the wonderful Herr Gramm - invited me to have an exhibition the following year. Hence, the following year. The 'Music Series'. Without a doubt !!! the MOST incredible opening I have ever had. The opening was in the Musik School dating back to 1380 and the most accomplished musicians played at this occasion. A pianist on the Imperial Grand Steinway, a violinist, four trombonists and flamenco guitarists .. Imagine that !!! And, the mayor of tourisme of Antibes, France avec delegation bringing 100 bottles of Rose vin d'Provence. That mayor would become my very much loved friend, Auduoin Rambaud.

After my opening, an incredible dinner at Stadt Garden. 'The American sits here' I heard from the French mayor. Ok. Great. On my left side, Monsieur Rambaud from France ... on my right side the ever lovely Dr. Blaese - the cultural mayor of Schwaebisch Gmuend. Not bad, eh ?? It was this night that Monsieur Rambaud invited me to present my Music exhibition in the beautiful French Riviera. Ok ... sure, why not ??? So ... last year I receive my invitation to have an exhibition of my paintings at Galerie Bains Douche - an incredible galerie in Antibes, France. And ... then, after ... two days before Christmas, I receive an invitation to live in the incredible Villa Fontaine for three months. WHICH three months they ask me ? Well .... June, July and August would be nice ... VOILA !!! June, July and August it is !!

So, that is my life in a nutshell. And ... maybe a possibility to have an exhibition of new Music paintings for the very FIRST Jazz festival in Schwaebisch Gmuend next April ... and after to ship the paintings to Antibes for the 50th Anniversary of the Jazz a Juan festival - the oldest and most incredible Jazz Festival in Europe ... J'espere ... I hope, I hope, I HOPE !!!!!


OLYMPUS AMERICA

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow! It is like you are living the fairy tale life that you deserve more than anyone! Of course, it is due to your hard work, talent and charming personality. Also, you are willing to risks. I continue to look forward to reading your wonderful stories.
XO
Steph

12:18 PM  
Blogger PaintingEachDay said...

Hey Steph - it's sooo great to hear from you. A kindred spirit for sure !! Thank you for your comments on my adventures !!! I appreciate your taking the time for come along for the ride -

AND .. keep up with your writings as well as I enjoy your blog so much !

xoxoxo
love
Ann

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful couple..Its visible that you both are mad for each other..May God's grace always be there on you both..
And ya..those roses are beautifully painted
shobin
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

2:15 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

WOW! thats really glad to see this one..AMAZING pictures..keep going.
--
Jack
Plug and play Security Systems no Contracts at the best affordable Prices

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home