Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My early morning walks

Jazz a Juan sculpture

Early in the morning I enjoy my long walks passing through Juan les Pins, Cap d'Antibes and back to the old village of Antibes to the Safranier section where I live - at least for three months that is. It's a long walk - maybe 10 kilometers ... and takes almost three hours because I stop for the many photo opportunities.


This is the Jazz Sculpture in Juan-les-Pins. It was created by Gilbert Giulian who passed away earlier this year. It's the beautiful backdrop for the greatest names in Jazz. Next year, by the way, is the 50th Anniversary of the Jazz a Juan festival. It's the oldest and largest Jazz festival in Europe - and, I'm happy to say, that I've been invited many times to sit close while sipping chilled Champagne. Incroyable, n'cest-ce pas ?? !!


My walk continues past the gorgeous Belles Rives. You can relax with a cocktail or have dinner under the blue and white striped canopy next to the sea. It's stunned with mouth open beautiful. I walk along the sandy beaches past the Port Galice and admire the sailboats and yachts ... and antique Citroens !



little fishing boat complete with parasol
One of my favorite sights in Antibes is the quaint and picturesque Port de l'Olivette. Beautiful old wooden fishing boats are harboured here and it's a delight to stroll past them with each long walk.


Strolling past Beach Plage with their beautiful striped blue and white lounges and umbrellas

Hotel du Cap

For those of you who have never heard of Hotel du Cap - 'Eden Roc' as it is more widely known, it is reputedly the most beautiful hotel in the world. I agree. The most beautiful. Not only the gracious and grand hotel, but the gardens are magnificent !!! My friend Patricia and I strolled through the gardens and stone paths and bungalows (yes you are correct, only patrons are allowed beyond the iron gates ... but ... WHY save all this beautiful just for the rich and famous I ask you ?) My ONE unfulfilled desire in beautiful Antibes was to swim in the breathtakingly beautiful infinity pool ... but since we were trespassers we felt it best not to press our luck. Besides, we didn't have our bathing suits with us - or at least the required bikini bottom.

The rear entrance to Hotel du Cap complete with beautiful dining terrace and view to la Mer - fantastique !



Eden Roc restaurant and terrace and beautiful eternity pool

I always admire this villa when I go on my walks. It was told to me that the Ambassador of Ireland lived here. It's not occupied at the moment and there are workers there every day. If anyone could lend me a couple of million dollars I could move right on in.

It comes with it's own incredible pool AND incredible view !

And lush strolling grounds with beautiful marble wall

Completing the circle, I come into view of beautiful Antibes ... complete with sailboats, blue sea and ...
My incredible home - Villa Fontaine !

So, what has it been like to live in Antibes for three months. First of all, the time flew by as I feared it would. I've enjoyed evenings at Jazz a Juan, Music of the Heart, Concerts at Fort Carre, fireworks, painting with the artists of Marche Provencal, boat rides, tours of the other Riviera towns like Monaco, Villefranche sur Mer, Nice, Biot, Cannes, St. Raphael and St. Tropez ... I've been invited to lovely dinner parties, sunbathed and swam (sans top) in the Mediterranean, shopped at the markets, painted, photographed ... and made friends.

It's been great and I wish that I could do it all over again. Words escape me when trying to describe the beautiful of Antibes. It's special.

Antibes could very well be the most beautiful place on earth.



OLYMPUS AMERICA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home