Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Jazz à Juan

Jazz à Juan

acrylic on stretched canvas
36" x 36"
91.4 cm x 91.4 cm


This painting is my gift to the tourist office of Antibes Juan-les-Pins. I have been invited by the mayor of tourisme to enjoy every evening of Musiques Au Coeur (Music of the heart - Opera at Eilenroc) and several concerts at Jazz à Juan (Jazz at Gould Pinede in Juan-les-Pins). What gift can I give in return other than a painting that represents my experiences in beautiful Antibes?

One of the most memorable moments for me in my three months was listening to the competition of musicians on Nationale Festival - to we Americans it's Bastille Day. I cannot even describe the moment when the beautiful saxophonist played 'What are you doing the rest of your life' ... the audience was awestruck with emotion. It was overwhelming. And ... she won the competition - hands down.

These are some of the moments that I take with me ... to share with my friends and family in Bethlehem and Allentown, PA. To encourage grabbing opportunities with gusto. To live the life you want. I know ... for sure ... it 'ain't' easy ... but even a day at the Farmers' Market ... to leave the tv off and prepare a dinner for your family. To take a class in cooking or learn another language ... to walk instead of drive. To write a letter instead of email. To plant a garden ... to listen to great music ... to take risks and ... when you look back on your life ... it's the great enjoyment that you will remember ...

So ... these last three months ... incredible for me. Just this morning I donned my Keds and walked to Juan-les-Pins ... strolling the promenade ... and then back again to take my familiar and cherished walk past Belle Rives, Port Galice, Port Crouton ... and the little harbour of
Port de l'Olivette ... past the gardens of Eden Roc ... and rounding the bend to see the spectacular sight of the old stone village of Antibes.

And I say to you ... grab every moment if you can ... life marches by all too quickly ...


OLYMPUS AMERICA

5 Comments:

Blogger Manorhousefineart said...

Stunning colours!!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Paintdancer said...

I have been enjoying reading your blog these past months and recalling memories of my own trips to France and other special places. You do need to seize the day, especially in these uncertain times that we live in. I am familiar with Bethlehem, Pa. and I am sure you are not looking forward to going home after Antibes! Yet, I'm probably wrong, because in the end there is no place like home!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Beatiful painting, this one and Justice. I would love to see them in person. Your blog continues to be entertaining and inspirational.
Steph

11:59 AM  
Blogger Sandra Galda said...

wow what a nice gift! Sounds like you are having the time of your life! I love to visit your blog because afterwards I feel I have been on a vacation trip. Love your story!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Cynthia said...

very interesting composition, great color....very inspiring gallery.....just found your blog through the daily painters....I went to Ceder Crest College....great memories of Allentown area.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home