Monday, July 20, 2009

Taking the train to Nice

Jim and Diana at the Thursday morning market
everything beautiful to buy
Boarding the train to Nice
The gorgeous fountain in Place Messena, Nice
Selecting the cafe for dinner
Sitting down for dinner
Moules Frites .... Mmmm
... and Salade Nicoise
Promenade des Anglais
de l'hôtel Le Palais de la Méditerranée
L'Hôtel Negresco
Nice at night
Taking the train

Thursday, July 16th

There is a wonderful market taking place each Thursday morning in Antibes, France. The vendors sell everything from shoes to clothing to ceramics to my favorite: tablecloths and napkins - Provencal style. Last year I purchased so many tablecloths I had to reorganize my packing at the Nice airport because my luggage was overweight. It's funny with packing each time I travel to Europe ... the things that you pack in multiples and the things you leave behind. When I attended the Nationale Superieure Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris in 1995, I packed five pair of Converse All-Stars (different colors) and all of my Dr. Martens. Go figure. This year I packed lots of art supplies and, of course, ALL of my electronics (now stolen) and lots of 'delicates' but not a lot of regular clothing. So ... I wear a lot of the same thing ... and it's fine. It's a great thing to be organized ... but if you forget something, you can always buy it at the market.

After the market, we walked to the Gare d'Antibes - train station - and boarded the train heading for Nice. The trains in France are clean and quiet and run so smoothly that you hardly realize you are moving. Also, the train tracks in the French Riviera were laid prior to alot of the building construction and therefore the tracks run all along the coast. Needless to say, the view is 'encroyable' !!!!

Nice is the largest city in the Alpes-Maritimes and it is hustling and bustling. There are skateboarders and runners and cyclists and people who stroll and people who shop. There is café after café ... and the buildings that line the Promenade des Anglais are gorgeous. We are very particular where we dine and select with great care ... reading the menus, comparing the 'look' and 'feel' of the cafés ... and, also considering the cost.

We sat at a pretty café with wicker placemats and yellow napkins. Diana and I ordered Moules Frites and the Salade Nicoise and Jim had the Salmon. Salade Nicoise is my 'staple' in France ... for I crave the anchovies, eggs, salade, tuna, capers, onions and red pepper combination. It's extra delicious when accompanied with a chilled French Bier or a glass of vin rosé de Provence.

Nice at night is crammed with people .... it's absolutely alive !! I wish that we had that same enthusiam in Allentown where I live ... but it's a whole different set-up. I don't even have a tv here ... although they offered to provide one. I don't want to be distracted with tv when there is a WHOLE beautiful world surrounding me.

After a full day, we boarded the train back to my lovely town of Antibes ... it feels a little like home now ... very settled in and happy here ... beautiful Antibes.


OLYMPUS AMERICA

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi, Ann,
I continue to enjoy reading your adventures and I'm glad that Jim and Diana are there now to soak up the sights and the sun with you.
I did take your advice and I watched French Kiss over the weekend. I had seen it before, but not recently and I loved seeing your photos of the hotel and spotting the same scenes in the movie.

Salad Nicoise is one of our favorite dishes as are mussels cooked in garlic and white wine and lots of crusty bread to soak up the juices.

Bon Apetit!
Steph

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home