Friday, June 19, 2009

Marche Provencal

Painting of the flowers at Marche Provencal

Flowers at Marche Provencal

The Flower Vendor





Marche Provencal

I love to wake up early and stroll over to the Marche Provencal. The market is open daily from early morning until early afternoon. It's a food shopper's paradise. Fresh fish, veggies, flowers, spices, olives, crepes, fowl, meat and wine. You may be paying a bit more, but the adventure and charm of the market is certainly worth the extra price.

Today was a painting day. I didn't even leave the villa until 6:15 p.m. I had given seven paintings to individuals and the city from my last year's exposition in Antibes ... and tonight is the dedication of my Trumpet painting to the Antibes School of Music. The delegates from Schwaebisch Gmuend, Antibes' (and Bethlehem's) sister city, will be there along with the visiting string instrument musicians. The mayor of culture and mayor of tourism of Antibes and the directors of the Music School - All in attendance.

Now, it's nerve wracking enough to be the featured artist ... there are speeches by the adjoint mayors, by the school directors, by the heads of town-twinning - and I hear the name 'Schlegel' more times than in the film 'Howard's End' ... but when they turned to me and said 'Ann, please say something .. it is your turn' .... eeesh!! That's when it's TRULY scary for me. So ... in my embarrassment, I just say a few sentences of gratitude and think ... oh gosh ... let's just sit down and eat and drink wine.

The dedication of my painting 'Trumpet'

Dinner celebration with incredible food !

The salmon was cooked with anise ... very delicious and inventive

et moi ... giving my painting to a wonderful and deserving home ...

Back in my villa, I took out another canvas and painted some more. I can't even begin to explain how wonderful, how beautiful, how very special Antibes is. It's extraordinarily unique with its ancient history -- over 2000 years old ... the stone structures, the Picasso museum, the old churches, the marketplace, the gleaming white yachts ... the aromas that change with each step ...

And tomorrow, I dine with the delegates from Schwaebisch Gmuend at a beautiful restaurant on the beach ... stay tuned for more -

A bientot !

xoxo
A

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A. You look very happy and you sound very happy. I look forward each day for your posts. The "Dorsh".

11:54 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi, Ann,
I am so excited that you are having such a wonderful time! I love reading your blog. I do wish I could share a bottle of wine with you as well.
I did have a great time in Allentown, but of course I missed you. One day I had lunch at Yocco's and dinner at the Brass Rail. I think that is little different than the cuisine that you are enjoying.
Love,
Steph
P.S. I am glad you have a cat to look after you.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home