Friday, June 12, 2009

Le Marche Provencal







Le Marche Provencal

Each morning I wake up very early ... in fact it's just 5:12 and I've been up since 4:00 a.m. I don't know why that is. Yesterday, I started my walk just past 6:00 a.m. I walked for four hours - from the old village of Antibes all the way to the Cap d'Antibes then on to Antibes Juan les Pins ... and finally back to my beautiful villa - and all before 10:45 in the morning.

I think it's the healthy style of living. Great food, great wine AND great water. I just love French water - with gas. It's sparkling and bubbly and just makes you feel restored. I may have to invest in French water when (if) I'm back in the states.

One of the great pleasures of Antibes is 'Le Marche Provencal'. It's truly a chef's dream. The market is under an old and very large metal pavillion. There are rows of tables lining each side and tables in the center spanning the complete distance of the market. But the amazing thing about the market are all of the incredible edibles you can purchase there. There are stands with just olives - not 'just' olives, but every kind of wonderful Provencal olive that tickles your fancy. There are spices and herbs and flowers and meats and cheeses. There's wine and fish and mustards and sauces ... just everything. And it's all top quality. It's hustling and bustling and it's exciting just to be there. Of course I have my camera with me every moment to record the sights.

I haven't cooked yet. Well, I mean I've certainly brought home baguettes and frommage and jambon (ham) and mustards - some mixed with tarragon or basil. But I haven't lit the stove yet. I have to insert the plug into the wall, turn on the gas and light it with a match. Naturally, I'm a little hesitant ... and will wait until Jim and Diana arrive to address it. And, it's just as well because I just love the baguettes and cheese. I have a little 'potager' - kitchen garden - on my terrace and grow cherry tomatoes, basil, rosemary, thyme and citrus thyme ... so I add that to my sandwich and enjoy. The baguettes here are thin with very little 'fill' and have a great 'crunch' to them. That's the way I like bread ... not all that dough filled stuff like you get back home.

I'm almost finished with the fish painting. Sometimes removing items from a painting restores the balance. Like negative space versus positive space. It's weird with painting. I thought I would be painting very modern paintings, but haven't yet clicked into my nitch. As long as I keep working and enjoying - I think it will all fall into place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home