Thursday, September 13, 2007

LIght Bulb


Light Bulb • this painting is sold

Today I was a patient for a soon to be Dental Hygienist. She's facing her boards next year at a local college and needs live patients to work on in order to pass. So, being the adventurous opportunist that I can be, I volunteered to go under the pick, probe, spatula and scraper ... for only a comparatively mere fee.

I was on the chair from 8:30 this morning until almost noon. There's something oddly relaxing about sitting in the dentist chair. You certainly can be distracted by the up close intimacy of someone's face two inches from yours with their fingers in your mouth ... but then with all of the attention toward your teeth, gums, fillings, cavities and whatever else is going on in there, it's great time to just phase out into your own world.

I thought about next year's poster for the Hudson Valley Wine Festival ... and painting dental tools .. (and of course my Mom). I don't have any dental tools and didn't want to just paint something from an internet photo ... so I'll just wait until I can find some 'real' models.

Funny, when I was growing up and losing my baby teeth, it was just another experience in our family to sit on my Dad's lap, have him tie a string around our loose tooth, manipulate it back and forth and then yank it out with the big old black pliers. Certainly it was worth the frightening, ripping pain to secure that nickel or dime that the tooth fairy would award us under our pillow.

Just for future reference: Gentlemen, wait until you see my new dental hygienist. She's beautiful and pretty and gentle and sweet. Believe me, you won't feel any pain. And, if you do, you won't realize it. Certainly I cannot disclose her name, but she's my Niece's Husband's Mother's neighbor ... if that helps.

And for you readers without dental insurance: You may want to check your local college and see if there's a dental program needing patients. You can get great care for a fraction of the price ... and, if you're lucky, you just might find the sweetest future dental hygienist that you can imagine.

If you would like to purchase a 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas that you see on this site, or commission a painting that is special to you, please email me.

These paintings are priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

info@annelizabethschlegel.com

www.annelizabethschlegel.com

Thank You!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home