Monday, August 20, 2007

Eggplant


Eggplant • this painting is sold

How to Stuff an Eggplant

For once, forget Bongo's Burger Joint
& thank El Nino for the pulsing hillsides.
Go to the farmer's market & choose
a glossy eggplant, just-harvested,
that shimmers back at you.
At home, rub its purple skin with dark oil
carried up from a cool cellar.
Broil the eggplant inches from the heat.
Carefully scoop the spongy white flesh,
leaving walls thick enough to hold.
Fill the hollow with walnuts, tangy feta,
& pomegranate seeds. Pack a basket.
Walk slowly along a trail winding
through wildflowers, a riot of color
down to the beach. Don't hurry.
Scatter the fat sparrows as you shake out
your picnic cloth stained with grass
from last summer. Place the eggplant,
warm & full, in the curve
of your lover's palm. Watch him
savor the soft succulent meat.
Dig your toes into the sand.
Let the mingled juices drip
onto the blanket while he nibbles.

Wishbone
Book of Poetry by Priscilla Lee

If you would like to purchase a 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas that you see on this site, or commission a painting that is special to you, please email me.

These paintings are priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

info@annelizabethschlegel.com

www.annelizabethschlegel.com

Thank You!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Hi - I found your blog when I googled Petria Mitchell - I saw her work Sunday in Boston, and now I'm a HUGE fan. Saw that you blogged (as I do) and looked you up - I LOVE your work! I've been looking for ways to paint the eggplant I grow. You've inspired me, and I hope you don't mind if I try out your vegetative composition. I will definitely check in often. :)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Helen Read said...

this is SO nice!!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home