Monday, May 28, 2007

The Cuckoo Clock


The Cuckoo Clock

I was fortunate to live in Cape May, NJ for six years. My apartment on Washington Street was small, but it was situated in the back of a large lawn graced with old trees and my vegetable garden. There, happy memories were made of long lazy days lying on the sand or strolling along the quiet streets.

Although my main occupation was working at the Mad Batter Restaurant, I also held a job in a quaint antique shop entitled 'Midsummer Nights Dream'. I collected all sorts of things including old furniture, old framed prints, antique beer steins for my Father and old cuckoo clocks. I always had a fondness for them since one graced our living room at home. Every day, since sixty years, my Father winds the old cuckoo clock, a present from his friend returning home from the great war.

Three years ago, while exhibiting my paintings in Germany, I had the pleasure of traveling the winding Cuckoo Clock Road in the enchanted Black Forest. It was as beckoning and bewitching as a Grimm Brothers' fairy tale.


"And hear the pleasant cuckoo, loud and long -
The simple bird that thinks two notes a song"

William Henry Davies

(ten of seven ... that's for you, Grandma)

If you would like to purchase this 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas, please email me. This painting is priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

info@annelizabethschlegel.com

www.annelizabethschlegel.com

Thank You!

3 Comments:

Blogger ming said...

very nice atmospherinc paespective in your painting!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann...The Cuckoo Clock is absolutely charming, unusual and exceptionally well executed. Brought back fond memories of our cuckoo clock form when I was very young.
Jan

7:45 PM  
Blogger sandy said...

I love the painting but I also enjoy reading what you write. My family had one too, looks just like that one. And then I had one when I was first married.. Don't know what ever happened to it.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home