Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Limburger Cheese


Limburger Cheese

When I was growing up, it happened often on a Saturday afternoon that the smell of Limburger Cheese would permeate the air. My Father would treat himself to Limburger Cheese sandwiches with red onion and brown mustard on pumpernickel bread. I would cringe with the odor.

Even as a young woman, I tried to stomach Limburger Cheese but just couldn't bring myself to eat even half of a sandwich.

Then I spent three summers in Germany. My friend Gundi likes Limburger Cheese paired with a strong beer. So I happened upon a beautiful little cheese shop in Schwaebisch Gmuend and there in the display case was a hunk of Limburger. The sales woman wrapped it in brown paper secured with twine and slipped a sprig of lavender through the bow. Lovely.

Gundi was pleased with her gift and that night we poured great German beer and set out a tray with Limburger. I must let you know that it was such a highlight for me. It was truly delicious. Now I keep Limburger in my own refrigerator ... and have surprised my friends with it. If you like a strong cheese ... trust me ... buy some cocktail pumpernickel bread, Téméraire mustard imported from the Dijon region of France ... a good strong beer(s) ... and a cake of Limburger cheese. It may surprise you, too!

Today's painting is my 200th painting in my Painting Each Day quest. It was lovingly painted in honor of my Father.

If you would like to purchase this 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas, please email me. This painting is priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

info@annelizabethschlegel.com

Thank You!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Vidmar McCarthy said...

Ann - Congratulations on number 200! The recent additions are most amazing - what incredible work you do!
Love the Velveteen Rabbit exerpts and, of course, this "Limburger Cheese." Shall we have some tomorrow and invite Sheba? :0)
So happy for your accomplishments!
Love, Shar

8:54 AM  
Blogger PaintingEachDay said...

Thank you Sharon, My Dad got a kick out of the painting as well. Who knew I'd ever miss that Limburger Cheese Saturday afternoon aroma.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish that I could find a jar of Mohawk Valley Limburger Cheese, anyone know where it's still sold.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to buy some too

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home