Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ballet Slippers II


Ballet Slippers II • for Emanuel • this painting is sold

There's something so beautiful ... so pure and innocent in a pair of ballet slippers. I held these sweet little pointe shoes in my hand and the small size alone is a wonderment. They bring to mind the lovely Degas bronze sculpture of 'Little Dancer, Aged Fourteen' ... outfitted in a genuine Tutu, which may be viewed at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

in 1996 I was lucky to secure two box seats at the majestic 'Opéra Paris de Garnier' while I attended art classes at the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux Arts. The featured ballet was 'Coppélia'. I had purchased these two tickets while still in the United States hoping that I would meet a wonderful Parisian to accompany me to the ballet. I arrived at the Opéra alone, dressed in my long black gown, and waited in line to secure my tickets. An elegant and distinguished gentleman waited behind me, just flying in from Milan. He was in Paris collecting antique opera music to bring to Italy. Well, I offered my available ticket to him and soon had the pleasure of sitting beside him in our red velvet, front row box seats at the Opéra Paris de Garnier. After the ballet, we talked over wine at the Café de la Paix .. and he invited me to join him for the week in Paris. Sadly, my flight was leaving the next morning.

I never saw him again .... but he left me with a wonderful memory of our lovely evening at the ballet.

If you would like to purchase this 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas, please email me. This painting is priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

info@annelizabethschlegel.com

Thank You!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home