Monday, December 18, 2006

Scrabble


Scrabble • this painting is sold

Ok ... for the Scrabble afficionado, it will jump right out at you that 'Doug' is not allowed. No proper words.... and, I probably would've challenged 'Homer' as well ... but, according to my New Collegiate Webster's Dictionary printed in 1959, 'homer' is defined as:

1. A home run
2. A homing pigeon
3. A Hebrew measure of capacity equal to 10 ephahs: a kor.

Now, I'm a bit in the dark about the third definition, but I would've pegged number 1 and number 2 as slang. The dictionary defines them as 'colloquial'. I think they'd be allowed ... under protest.

By the way, 'afficionado' or 'aficionado' are not located words in my 1959 edition.

This painting is a commission and therefore solves the mystery of 'Doug' and 'Homer'.

p.s. Yes, yes I know there are no adjoining words to 'Doug' or 'Homer', which would not happen in Scrabble since we always begin on the pink star. However, this is 'artistic license' of which I am somewhat of an afficionado ... or would it be aficionado.

If you would like to purchase this 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas, please email me. This painting is priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

info@annelizabethschlegel.com

Thank You!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home