Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Studios and Heritage




Studios

This is where I paint - when I'm not painting 'en plein aire'. My studio is located on the second floor of the old Theodoredis and Sons Banana Import Factory ... now known simply as 'The Banana Factory'. I've been a resident artist there since May of 1999. Notice the 9/24 entry of things ending in 'i.o.n.' (organization). The second photo is of my wonderful iMac G5 on an antique desk in my music room -- with a great view of South Mountain. This view is so beautiful that it only increases my joy of computers and design. So... there you are ... my day in a nutshell. Painting - designing - blogging.

On Heritage

Schlegel ... how German is that? However, my Mother always took pride in being Irish. Her maiden name is Fox .... originating from the German translation of Fox (Fuchs). But somewhere there was a 'Dougherty' in her heritage and she stuck with that Irish bloodline. One day, to my Mother's anguish, she let it slip that a close ancestor's last name was 'Ziegenfuss' (loose translation: hoof of the goat). That's when the Shamrock hit the fan.

This beautiful Guinness glass was a gift from my Parents on return from their tour of Ireland.

3 Comments:

Blogger cheryl meehan said...

Hi, I can't see your name without thinking of the movie "Howard's End."

7:40 PM  
Blogger PaintingEachDay said...

hey Cheryl ... tell me about it... I rented it about a year ago... and ALL I heard in the movie was Ms. Schlegel and Ms. Schlegel...blah, blah, blah Ms. Schlegel and Ms. Schlegel. It made it difficult to watch. I never saw a movie which said a person's last name MORE than Howard's End. Signed, Ms. Schlegel.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You are hilariously funny!
I can tell the same tales regarding the 'Black Irish'. I guess any reference to such would make my Paternal Grandmother (Barrett) indignant. I guess she claimed to be 'pure' Irish. When I look at pictures of her I see her olive skin and snow white hair and she doesn't look as Irish as I do ;)

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home