Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Guinness is ...


'Guinness is ...' 6" x 6" • this painting is sold

Many years ago a contest was held to 'win a pub in Ireland'. The challenge was to write the most fitting, the most clever verse to describe Guinness Stout. The poem or verse was to be entitled 'Guinness is ...'. Well, I sat down and crafted my 'Guinness is ...' I was sure that I was going to be living in Ireland, tapping beer, developing a brogue.... and running my own pub. I licked the stamp and sent the winning poem on its way, and anxiously awaited the news ....
'tis years later .... am still waiting ....


So I present to you:

Guinness is ...

The Peak of Spring, the lure of land
A Pint of Guinness in me hand -
With Sun Ablaze, the summer young,
It's creamy froth upon me tongue,
The Autumn Crisp, and hills of gold
This draft has stirred and soothed me soul
The Winter's frost, the year has passed
This savoured brew, an empty glass.

And so for years the story's told
That luck runs deep, and legends olde
Embrace the love of Irish in us,
So tap me, lass, another Guinness

Ann Elizabeth Schlegel


I dedicate this painting to my dear friends, Dave and Sharon.
More generous souls I never knew.


If you would like to purchase this 6" x 6" oil painting on stretched canvas, please visit my website. This painting is priced at $100.00 plus s/h.

Thank You!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Vidmar McCarthy said...

This is absolutely lovely, Ann - truly a "perfect pour!" One can almost taste it! Brilliant!!
Dave & Sharon

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful brew and loved the poem...if it had been up to me, you would have won. "Louise"

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home