Thursday, July 14, 2011

USA vs France

Now, anybody who knows me knows that I have a love affair with Europe ... more specifically Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany and Antibes, France. Actually, that includes all of France ... and pretty much all of Europe - at least what I have seen of it so far. In my younger years I was fortunate to attend the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-arts in Paris and traipse around and paint in Giverny and Provence as well.

So, considering my affection for France and being a citizen of the US ... when it was time for the World Cup semi-finals - USA vs France - I was sure to get a front row seat at the Cafe DaVinci in Schwaebisch Gmuend so I could watch the match 'en plein air'. Yes, that's the Paulaner Cafe right next door ... notice the man wearing the lederhosen !!

The Paulaner cafe

When the raindrops began, the large tv was brought inside. My friends Connie and Andy and I sat, once again, front and center. It was a great game ! I thought that the French women played well - and, for a time, I was at the edge of my seat - several times they came so close to scoring.

USA wins 3-1 !!


During the match, one of the greatest artists in Schwaebisch Gmuend walked in and sat at our table. This is the wonderful Eckhart Dietz. He's pretty big time. You can check out his website - although you might want to dust off your German dictionary:

http://www.eckhart-dietz.de

He then took out his drawing tablet and in just moments, created this great drawing ... that's moi ! What a treat his visit was for me !!!

Score !! that's the Americans scoring against the French

It was so exciting ... and what a fun evening that was !! Then, Connie and Andy and I stayed for Sweden vs Japan. If you didn't see the match - Japan won. Once again the score was 3-1.

So, on Saturday evening I will head over to the Cafe DaVinci and watch the match for third place -- France vs Sweden. May the better team win ... although I will have a glass of 'vin rouge,
un peu de pain et un morceau de fromage' ... that might give you an idea of who I'm rooting for !!

And, on Sunday, I will be back front and center, enjoying a small salad and a cold Beck's and cheering for our girls ... Go USA !!!

btw ... HAPPY BASTILLE DAY !!!!!!!!! Vive la France !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home